Via III Novembre 16/18 Barletta (BT) | Tel. +390883883560 • +393475498321
esenes

Turistic Info

The Colossus of Barletta

Better known locally as Heraclius («Arè» in the local dialect), is a giant bronze statue, 4.50 meters high, dating from the 5th century. Located in front of the left side of the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre of Barletta, the work in Byzantine style, depicts the Emperor Theodosius II and was built most probably by Valentinian III in Ravenna in 439.

The Cathedral of Santa Maria Maggiore

It is the largest Catholic place of worship in Barletta, in the historic centre of the city, at the end of via Duomo. Santa Maria Maggiore is also the oldest core of the religious life of the city and its urban core. The present building consists of two clearly differentiated parts: one typically Romanesque front, prior to the back, drawn by Gothic characters. Currently it is a Co-Cathedral of the Archdiocese of Trani-Barletta-Bisceglie.

The Castle

Built by the Swabians, in 1259 it was the Manfredi’s palace, in 1532-1537 the four massive angular bastions were joined to become one of the most important Italian military strongholds.

The Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre

It is one of the main churches of Barletta. As its own name, the origins of the church retain a close relationship with the Holy Land and the Sepulchre of Jesus Christ. Located in a strategic position between two ancient and important road communication axes, the Adriatic and the via Traiana, which leads to Rome. The Basilica was a transit destination for pilgrims to the Holy Land and for the Crusaders in travel, from the port of Barletta, towards Jerusalem.

The Palazzo della Marra

It is undoubtedly one of the finest examples of Renaissance architecture in Apulia. Nowadays it is permanently located on the second floor of the De Nittis Art Gallery.
The Art Gallery which contains the works of Giuseppe De Nittis, donated to the city by his wife Leontine Gruvelle, is not only a museum but represents a homecoming of the great artist that renews, from Apulia, the dialogue with the protagonists of one of the most important moments of the nineteenth-century art in Europe.

The Cellar of the Challenge

Rebuilt on the ground floor of a medieval palace, commemorates the place where the French captain La Motte accused Italian soldiers of cowardice, with the consequent challenge waged on a neutral ground between Andria and Corato. Ettore Fieramosca was the chief of the thirteen Italian winners.

The Council Theatre

Named after the composer Giuseppe Curci, is located in corso Vittorio Emanuele and constitutes an important cultural container within the city. It is located right in the city centre, opposite the City Hall.

The Port

It has a water mirror of over sixty acres and two long piers over one kilometre.

Cannae

It was an ancient city of Apulia, which stood at 54 m above sea level, a hill located on the right bank of the river Aufidus (the modern Ofanto), and 9 km from the sea. Well known for the famous battle of Cannae, the largest battle of the Second Punic War, where the Roman army suffered a serious defeat at the hands of the Carthaginians led by Hannibal. It is still considered a masterpiece of the military art; the most successful example of an encirclement maneuver accomplished by an army outnumbered their opponents.

Today in the place called Canne della Battaglia (BT), you can find archaeological remains of great interest, such as:

• Museum (ornaments in bronze and amber, tombs, pottery, coins from the Byzantine period)

• Bath complex of Saint Mercurius

• Masseria Cannae and San Ruggero Fountain

Ofanto

It is the most important river of Apulia for length, basin and abundance of water, in addition, with its 170 km of the total course is also the longest river among those that flow into the Adriatic Sea in the South of the Reno River and the second one in southern Italy after the Volturno.